HOW TO CONNECT A PORTABLE GENERATOR TO A HOUSE
A generator is important since it can be used to connect electricity when there is a power cut off. The following are ways in which you can connect a generator in your house. Visit generatorcentrics website for more info.
Method One of Two- Wiring the System
- Determine the important essential appliances in the home you can do without: A generator driven by petrol with approximately 3500 watts will be able to serve for purposes like the television, fans, fridge or a freezer and also lighting. Every generator has a written rated power that means the amount of power that the generator can deliver within an average of 12 hours continuously.
- Write down the appliances and electrical devices you would love to use, then look their power requirements: A normal microwave can use like 1500 watts, a full circuit of bulbs requires like only 150 watts, 1200-1500 watts for a refrigerators but it has a starting capacitor which keeps rising the wattage when the compressor is started. Depending on the type and the size of the television it can use less than 1000 watts.
- Select a wiring system: There are many different kinds of wiring systems that can be used in connecting a generator in a house. There are two main types of wiring systems.
- Choose the interlock kit to consider: These are one of the cheapest options since they are so easy to install. They are said to be illegal and hence not safe to install in your house. It is advisable that they get installed correctly. For a safe kind of installation you are required to have a number of spaces extra ones for that matter or just get a new one installed by a professional. You are advised that you get an approved kit.
- Give a consideration of a manual transfer switch: It requires a professional to actually install it. It is also quite expensive. It is one of the safest and also legal.
- Put up an inlet hook up box: This goes to the outside of your house and also have a male recessed connector. It connects to the available panel system that was put to place within your house. To ensure that the system keeps up to code and also safe you are required to use a professional to do the installation.
- Ensure your setup is inspected: You should ensure that it is regularly inspected if you have no experience at all.
Method Two of Two- Plug It In
- Put the generator a distance away from your house: You should place the generator a distance away from your house with the cables accompanied with it. This is to prevent the risk that can come with something going wrong with the generator like for example the house catching fire. Plus the generator contains carbon monoxide that is poisonous when inhaled by humans.
- Connect the generator to the hookup: You should ensure that you match every hole accurately at the generators cord end to the prongs found on the hookup. You should then plug them in. to finish up the connection you should turn the plug connection.
- Connect your attachment cable to your generator: The generator you purchased should come with a cable that will be used to enhance the connection in your house. Then do the plugging and select the kind of voltage that you want.
- Check the engine: You should check so as to ensure that the engine throttle has been put to its position and that it contains the needed amount of oil. Depending on where you stay you may also want to use the glow plug so as to preheat the engine.
- Start the engine: According to the instructions given by the manufacturer you can now start the engine of the generator.
- System switching: You should then go to where your breaker is. Then turn the main generator on and then flip the main utility on.
- Flipping of the breakers: The breakers should be flipped onto the system that was installed, one by one slowly turning all the loads.
- Go back to the utility power: By reversing the order of the operations, you then get to be able to go back to using the utility power.